Sunya undertakes sustainable practices seriously and offers a wide range of technologies and approaches to reduce environmental impact. She addresses four key concerns.
- Drought tolerant species (ecological planting)
- Autumn planting and use of small plants where possible.
- Grey water recycling and rain water harvesting.
- Soil management.
- Sustainable drainage systems such as permeable paving for reduction of water run off into mains, drains and sewers.
Use of sustainable material
- Soil association accredited seeds and plants.
- Peat free or reduced-peat products as an alternative.
- Low energy use during manufacture.
- Low CO2 emissions
- Fair trade and FSC/PEFC certified timber.
- Materials on site that can be sensibly salvaged are reused and recycled.
- Traditional hard landscaping techniques if feasible
- Always aim to plant UK sourced trees with proven seed provenance. This makes biological sense and it reduces the chances of introducing alien pests and diseases.
- Only use trusted suppliers renowned for the traceability of their seeds, plants, shrubs and other horticultural products.